Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Photo Teacher

In January of 2010 I started teaching photography at the Art Institute San Diego - Mission Valley. Its just part time, 1 class a week for now. Maybe in the future I'll do more. Its a lot of work and I like to give my 100%, so 1 class for now is perfect. I truly enjoy inspiring and teaching new talent creative tools. I utilize my knowledge, stories and give them the hands on field type experience.. Very rewarding on a personal level. Plus they keep me on my toes, ha. There is no photography major at the Art Institute San Diego. All of my students are in graphic design, animation, web design and advertising majors. My goal with each class is to relate their future careers to real world professional commercial photography.

I officially have 3 quarters finished. About to move into my fourth, Fall. During each quarter my goal is to have 1 field trip to a commercial photographers studio, which we have done so far with
Frank Rogozienski and Lon Atkinson. Then I have had two photographers come in and do presentations. So far we have had Bil Zelman and Chris Straley. These interactions are priceless. I can watch the students wheels turning when they are speaking. I encourage any professional out there to give back. & I am so grateful Frank, Lon, Bil and Chris have.. The students took a lot a way from their presentations, including the big one: inspiration.

At the end of each quarter my students are to do a final project. Here is one of the students blog posts: "Pen 15" in regards to his final project.. They make me very proud!


1 comment:

B Jensen said...

Thanks for the Shout-Out Monica! Great class this quarter.